Garrett Crochet didn’t waste any time showing the Boston Red Sox why they were right to bet big on him. Just two days after inking a six-year, $170 million extension, the 25-year-old left-hander delivered the best start of his young career, tossing eight shutout innings in a 3-0 victory over the Baltimore Orioles at Fenway Park on Wednesday night. He allowed just four hits, walked one, and struck out eight on 102 pitches — one shy of his career

“My first start in college I went eight, and I haven’t sniffed it since,” Crochet said after the game, smiling.

His dominance backed up Boston’s decision to lock him up through 2031, and manager Alex Cora didn’t shy away from praising the front office’s commitment to its new ace.

“That’s the reason he’s here. That’s the reason we committed to him,” Cora said.

The Red Sox acquired Crochet in a blockbuster December trade with the White Sox, sending away top prospects Kyle Teel and Braden Montgomery to land a high-upside arm with frontline potential. Despite limited time as a starter in the big leagues, the Red Sox were confident enough in both his talent and work ethic to make Crochet the second-highest-paid starting pitcher in club history — trailing only David Price’s $217 million deal.

The Red Sox’ extension of Garrett Crochet seems to be paying off so far

Boston Red Sox pitcher Garrett Crochet (35) throws the ball during the fourth inning against the Baltimore Orioles at Oriole Park at Camden Yards.
 

Crochet, who entered the year with just 146 career innings as a starter due to prior injuries and bullpen usage, said the decision to stay in Boston came quickly.